Temple Grandin Ph.D
Professor of Animal Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80523, USA
Consultant and designer of livestock handling facilities, Grandin Livestock Handling Systems Inc.
- B.A. (Psychology), Franklin Pierce College, 1970.
- M.S. (Animal Science), Arizona State University (part time), 1975.
- Ph.D. (Animal Science), University of Illinois (part time), 1989.
- 1984, Meritorious Service, Livestock Conservation Institute (now National Institute of Animal Agriculture).
- 1990, National Provisioner, Processing Stars of 1990.
- 1990, Who's Who of American Women.
- 1994, Golden Key National Honor Society, Honorary Member.
- 1994, Industry Innovator's Award, Meat Marketing and Technology Magazine.
- 1995, Industry Advancement Award, American Meat Institute.
- 1995, Animal Management Award, American Society of Animal Science.
- 1995, Harry C. Rowsell Award, Scientists Center for Animal Welfare.
- 1995, The Brownlee Award for International Leadership in Scientific Publication Promoting Respect for Animals, their nature and welfare, Animal Welfare Foundation of Canada, Vancouver, BC.
- 1997, CAS/Miller Com 97 Campus Wide Lecture at the University of Illinois.
- 1997, Profiled in Who's Who in America.
- 1997, Alpha Zeta Centennial Honor Roll.
- 1998, F.W. Presant Memorial Lecture, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
- 1998, Forbes Award, National Meat Association.
- 1998, Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation - Humane Ethics in Action, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- 1999, Woman of the Year in Service to Agriculture, Progressive Farmer Magazine.
- 1999, Humane Award, American Veterinary Medical Association.
- 1999, Honary Doctorate, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec.
- 1999, Named as one of the 26 Industry Influentials by Meat Marketing and Technology Magazaine.
- 1999, Animal Welfare Award, Animal Transportation Association.
- 1999, Founders Award, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- 2000, Temple Grandin profiled in The New York Times, Scientists at Work, McGraw Hill Books, New York, NY. pp. 48-57. Profile by Anne Raver.
- 2001, Joseph Wood Krutch Medal - The Humane Society of the United States.
- 2001, Knowlton Award for Innovation, Meat Marketing and Technology.
- 2001, Wood Gush Memorial Lecture, International Society of Applied Ethology.
- 2002, Richard L. Knowlton Innovation Award from Meat Marketing and Technology Magazine.
- 2002, British Society of Animal Science, Yorkshire England, Animal Welfare Award Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty in Animals.
- 2002, University of Illinois Alumni Illini Comeback Award. Five distinguished alumni are invited back each year during homecoming. Other comeback Illini for 2002, were an astronaut, university president, the inventor of Microsoft Office, and an administrator of a scholarship program.
- 2003, Western Section American Socity of Animal Science
- 2004, Honorary Doctorate of Science, University of Illinois.
- 2004, President's Award, National Institute of Animal Agriculture.
- 2004, The Beef Top 40: The 40 most influential people in the beef industry. Awarded on the 40th anniversary of Beef Magazine.
- 2004, The Organic Style Magazine's Environmental Power List.
- 2006, Animals in Translation was a Top Science Book of the Year in Discover Magazine, January 2006 p.74
- 2006, Frank H.T. Rhodes Class of 1956 Visiting Professor at Cornell University
- American Society of Animal Science.
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers.
- American Society of Agricultural Consultants.
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists.
- National Institute of Animal Agriculture (formerly Livestock Conservation Institute).
BOOKS ON LIVESTOCK SUBJECTS:
- Grandin T. 1993-2000. (Editor). Livestock Handling and Transport, CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon, United Kingdom. 2nd Edition, 2000.
- Titles of chapters written by T. Grandin:
- Introduction: Management and economic factors of handling and transport.
- Behavioral principles of handling cattle and other grazing animals under extensive conditions.
- Handling facilities and restraint of range cattle.
- Handling and welfare of livestock in slaughter plants.
- Grandin, T. 1995. Thinking in Pictures. Vintage Press (Division of Random House), New York, NY.
- Grandin, T. 2000. Beef Cattle Behavior, Handling and Facilities Design. Grandin Livestock Handling Systems Inc., Fort Collins, CO.
- Grandin, T. 1998 (Editor). Genetics and the Behavior of Domestic Animals. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- Titles of chapters written by T. Grandin and M. Dessing:
- Behavioral genetics and animal science.
- Genetics and behavior during handling restraint and herding.
- Genetics and animal welfare.
- Grandin T. and Johnson C., 2005. Animals in Translation. Scriber (Division of Simon and Schuster), New York, NY.
VIDEOS OF LECTURES BY TEMPLE GRANDIN:
- Cattle Handling Principles to Reduce Stress.
- Animal Handling in Meat Plants.
- Low Stress Handling of Pigs.
- Preventing Behavior Problems in your horse.
Click here for information on ordering books or videos.
Click here for list of Dr. Grandin's publications.
Click here to return to
the Homepage and menu of information on the behavior and handling of cattle,
pigs, antelope, bison and other animals. This page also contains
information on the design of animal handling facilities, humane slaughter,
and animal welfare.